Skip Navigation
LARA: Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Official Web Site for the State of Michigan Home MPSC Home | Contact MPSC | Sitemap | FAQ | 

MichPSC-Gas Choice-ConEnergy
MPSC Gas Customer Choice Program: Consumers Energy Company
shim shim shim
Bullet Contact participating Suppliers from list of licensed suppliers
Bullet Frequently Asked Questions

Customer Choice Tariff (PDF format 36K) from rate book


Gas Customer Choice Tariff Order (PDF format) from U-15929

Bullet Contact Consumers at 800-418-2263 or visit their web site.

U-12680 reference:
Order (PDF)
Press Release

Bullet Participation Status program statistics

Effective April 1, 2001, the Michigan Public Service Commission approved a permanent gas customer choice program for Consumers Energy Company's natural gas customers on October 24, 2000 in Case Number U-12680.

The permanent program replaces a three year experimental program which allowed up to 300,000 to participate in 2000. This expanded program gives all customers the option to obtain natural gas from a supplier of their choice. This means that you, as a residential or business customer will now be able to choose a new gas supplier. Consumers Energy will still continue to provide gas distribution service by delivering your gas to your home or business.

If you do not wish to switch to a new supplier your gas service will continue to be provided by Consumers Energy and the price of your gas supply will be regulated by the Public Service Commission. If you wish to switch to a new supplier the price you pay for your gas supply will be the price the supplier offers.

If you choose to participate in the customer choice program you may return to the utility at any time. If you switch back to buying gas from Consumers Energy after participating in the customer choice program you are required to remain a Consumers Energy sales customer for 12 months before you can choose a new supplier.

Frequently Asked Questions About
Consumers Energy
Gas Customer Choice Program
shim shim shim
  Bullet Who is eligible to participate in Consumers' Customer Choice program?  
  All residential and business customers are eligible. Participation in the program is strictly voluntary.  
  Bullet If I am on the Equal Monthly Payment Plan, can I participate?  
  Bullet What if I do not wish to switch to a new supplier?  
  That is your choice. If you choose to remain a sales customer of Consumers Energy the price that you pay for your gas supply will be determined by the Michigan Public Service Commission. See current rates.  
  Bullet How do I sign up with a new supplier?
  You can sign up over the telephone, via the Internet, or in person. You will need to provide your name, address and Consumers Energy account number if you want to sign up with the new supplier. These numbers are on your bill. Your new supplier will then send the information to Consumers. To avoid unauthorized switching, do not disclose specific account information if you do not want to be switched to a new supplier.  
  Bullet Is there a sign up period?
  No. All sales customers have been eligible to choose another supplier since April 1, 2003.  
  Bullet How can I find out which suppliers are participating in the program?
  See Supplier/Marketer Contacts page for a list of suppliers that are licensed with the MPSC.  
  Bullet How long will it take to switch to a new supplier?
  About two to six weeks depending on when your gas utility reads your meter.  
  Bullet Can I switch from one supplier to another?
  Yes, you can switch to another supplier at any time. However, be sure to ask your potential suppliers if there is a cancellation fee or a minimum term to be eligible for the savings or rebate. When you enroll with a new supplier you will automatically be canceled with your old supplier and may be responsible for a cancellation fee at that time. You can switch back to Consumers Energy sales service at any time, but must remain with Consumers Energy for the following 12 months.  
  Bullet How do I cancel my contract?
  You must contact the supplier to cancel your contract. The MPSC does not regulate the supplier and therefore cannot cancel or change contracts.  
  Bullet Do I have to pay a fee if I switch suppliers?
  There is no fee for your original enrollment and you are also allowed to switch once each year without a fee. There is a $10.00 fee for each additional switch.  
  Bullet Does the Michigan Public Service Commission regulate the rates of the suppliers participating in the program?  
  No. It is up to you to determine if a supplier meets your needs. Be sure you understand the terms of the contract and the price you will pay, including any additional administrative fees the supplier may charge. If you have questions or problems concerning your gas supply, you must contact the supplier. See Supplier/Marketer Contacts page.  
  Bullet Who will deliver the gas to my home?  
  Consumers Energy will continue to deliver gas to your home. You will not need a new service line or meter if you choose a new supplier. Your delivery (distribution) cost and monthly customer charge are the same as a Consumers Energy sales customer.  
  Bullet If I choose an alternative supplier to purchase gas on my behalf, do I pay my utility any charges??
  Yes, you would pay the utility delivery charges that you have always paid. These charges consist of the Monthly Customer Charge and the Distribution Charge. The amount you agree to pay your alternative supplier for the gas they purchased for you will be billed and collected by Consumers Energy and Consumers Energy will pay your alternative supplier.  
  Bullet Will I continue to pay sales tax on my entire bill if I switch suppliers?  
  Yes. If you are a residential customer your bill will include a 4% sales tax rate on the total bill. If you are a business customer, the rate is 6%.  
  Bullet Who do I call if I smell gas?  
  If you smell gas, have a service emergency or have a billing dispute you will still call Consumers Energy for help.  
  Bullet Who do I call if I have a billing dispute?  
  Consumers Energy will continue to read your meter and send you a bill for their delivery service and the gas you purchased from your supplier. Call your energy supplier if you have any questions concerning your gas charges. If you have questions concerning your customer charge or distribution charges, you will still call Consumers Energy.  
  Bullet What can I do if I can't get my problem resolved through Consumers Energy or the supplier?  
  If you have not received a satisfactory response from your gas utility or your new supplier, inquire or complain to the staff of the Michigan Public Service Commission (at under Consumer Information).  
top of page | Choice main page Home | MPSC Home | LARA Home
Accessibility Policy | Link Policy | Privacy Policy | Security Policy | Michigan News | Survey

Copyright © 2001-2013 State of Michigan
Updated: Dec 18, 2012